- Welcome to RobCapo.com, my sandbox for web projects and general contact page. I am a machine learning developer with a strong background in web development. I am passionate about software development of any sort. I own a small business selling pro audio and lighting equipment. I try to be a guitar player, I'm a Phish fan, and I am a big fan of most Apple products. If you want to know more about any of this, feel free to contact me. This website is built with a custom MVC framework I designed.
- 2013 – PresentM.Sc. Electrical & Computer Engineering (Machine Learning), Rowan University
- 2009 – 2013B.Sc. Electrical & Computer Engineering (Cum laude), Rowan University
2014 – PresentBackend Software Engineer, GTNetwork
At GTNetwork, I play many roles as the lead software engineer. My responsibilities include creating the relational database schema, architecting and implementing the interfaces of many components in the system, optimizing database queries, and designing the RESTful API. The system has high complexity, because many car services with different requirements need it to manage different aspects of their businesses. The vast majority of the code that I write here is in PHP.
2013 – 2014Teaching Fellow, Rowan University
As a graduate student at Rowan, I taught two freshman level engineering classes that were focused on fundamental engineering concepts. The Freshman Engineering Clinic classes included topics like economics, ethics, statistics, engineering software, and communication. My responsibilities included grading, creating and presenting lectures, and creating and running labs.
2007 – PresentFounder & Developer, The DJ House
As a high school student with experience in web development, I started an ecommerce store selling professional audio and lighting equipment. As the business grew, so did my responsibilities: supplier relations, inventory management, data entry, customer service, logistics, and marketing. The business has expanded measurably and is now family operated. As a developer, I designed a sophisticated back-end system that includes customer invoicing, order processing, credit card payments, shipment tracking, inventory tracking, product editing, and synchronization with an external server.
Summer 2012Research Assistant, Signal Processing & Pattern Recognition Laboratory
In Rowan's SPPRL, I helped develop a novel algorithm for learning in non-stationary environments. The algorithm was a unique solution to a practical problem for applied machine learning. My responsibilities also included detailed research on existing literature in the field, implmentations of various algorithms to benchmark against our solution, and generating synthetic datasets. I then expanded on the work I did here to get my Master's degree at Rowan.
- Machine Learning
- I've had extensive exposure to the core classification algorithms including Support Vector Machines, Multi-Layer Perceptrons, Classification Trees, Naïve Bayes, k Nearest Neighbor, ensemble systems. I have also published research in online, non-stationary, semi-supervised, and active machine learning. As with most researchers in the field, I am keenly interested in computational neuroscience and its application to real data.
- Operations / Tools
- I have experience setting up and operating Linux web servers with the following technologies: nginx, PHP, MySQL, MariaDB, Docker, elasticsearch. I have set up and connected docker containers to create multiple webservers running on the same droplet, mapped to different ports. I am also familiar with bash and zsh, and many of the popular command line tools (e.g. grep, awk, sed, screen), and I know my way around the Linux file system.
- I've worked productively on OS X, Linux, and Windows. I develop with a seriously customized Sublime Text 3. I use Transmit (or Sublime) for FTP, OS X's Terminal (or Sublime) for quick command line tasks and SSH, MATLAB for visualizations and quick calculations, LaTeX (written in Sublime) for all typesetting, and BibDesk to manage my references. I can edit text effectively in vim, but if I'm not editing on a remote server, I usually stick with...Sublime.
- Organization / Project Management
- I manage a business regularly dealing with order processing, inventory tracking, and shipping. I've tried out several productivity apps for Mac/iOS, and found OmniFocus and OmniPlan to be the most full featured for task and project management. I also took a project management class that exposed me to capture management, proposal development, gantt charts, work breakdown structures, and earned value management.
- Negotiations with suppliers, provides technical support and customer service. Taught two Freshman level engineering classes at Rowan University.
- Started a website from the ground up and built it into a profitable business.
- Sarnelle J., Sanchez A., Capo R., Polikar R., "Quantifying the Limited and Gradual Concept Drift Assumption" International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN 2015), Killarney Irelend, July 2015.
- Dyer K., Capo R., Polikar R., "COMPOSE: A Semi-Supervised Learning Framework for Initially Labeled Non-Stationary Streaming Data" IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, Special issue on Learning in Nonstationary and Dynamic Environments, 2014
- Capo R., Sanchez A., Polikar R., "Core Support Extraction for Learning from Initially Labeled Nonstationary Environments using COMPOSE," World Conference on Computational Intelligence (WCCI 2014), Beijing, China, July 2014.
- Capo R., Dyer K., Polikar R., "Active Learning in Non-Stationary Environments," International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN 2013), Dallas, TX, August 2013.
- Relevant Courses
- Computational Intelligence
- Embedded Systems Design
- Estimation & Detection Theory
- Pattern Recognition
- Digital Speech Processing
- Advanced Computer Architecture
- Advanced Systems & Control
- Digital Signal Processing
- Systems Engineering
- Electricity & Magnetism
- Project Management